Thursday, January 22, 1970

Re: vi in ramdisk?

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 06:02:16PM +0000, Roderick wrote:
>
> On Fri, 15 Nov 2019, Theo de Raadt wrote:
>
> > Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> wrote:
>
> > > How large is a C implementation of TECO?
> >
> > he probably means cat plus the shell's redirection capability.
>
> I think, TECO is much more powerfull that ed and vi.
>
> But perhaps DEC 10s SOS?
>
> I do not know if it runs in unix or if there is a C implementation.
> But I remember it as much simpler than ed, but more comfortable,
> and for manually editing enough.
>
> Isn't really in unix nothing simpler than ed?
>
> Well, the advantage of ed is, that it is the standard unix editor.
>
> Rod.
>

Yes, but ed also allows one to easily work with only 1-3 lines of
screen. Screen size can matter. I have always fallen back to using ed
when running single user. If I'm running off of my phone in landscape,
one line is all I can see. With ed, that is enough. With vi plus making
a mistake, it's harder to see. Vi is more powerful than ed, but I'm used
to using vim, so I keep hitting keys that don't work in vi (which is my
problem, not vi's).
I have never used teco or sos.

I'm neutral overall on this, but the number of screen lines used does
matter to me.

Forgive me if the date is wrong, I can't find the cause. Going to do a
new snapshot right now.

Chris Bennett

No comments:

Post a Comment