Sunday, April 30, 2017

Re: OpenBSD/octeon on EdgeRouter PoE - my experience

I'd bet there are quite more important issues related to the Octean
platform than the switch issue, so I won't expect any progress soon.

About the Lite, you'd get your three working ports.

Regards!


2017-04-29 23:34 GMT+02:00 Doggie <doggie@privilege.pl>:

> W dniu 2017-04-25 o 18:47, Daniel Gracia pisze:
>
>> EdgeRouter PoE octeon has 3 Ethernet hardware ports (it is the very same
>> platform for PoE and Lite). In the case of the PoE unit:
>>
>> * Two first ports are connected to a PHY device (so you can connect an
>> actual UTP/FTP cable).
>> * Third port is connected to an embedded hardware switch rather than a PHY
>> (so you get no cable for your cnmac2).
>>
>> So the OpenBSD kernel output seems reasonable as long as you suppose that
>> nobody has taken the job of writting the driver to enable the embedded
>> switch. Managing PoE is closely related (as this kind of hardware level
>> configuration should require its very own driver).
>>
>> Regards!
>>
>
> Sorry for delayed response and thanks for yours.
>
> In this case, can someone please let me know if there are any plans for
> making this switch supported in OpenBSD in the nearest future?
>
> I'm pretty excited about these little devices so now I'm thinking about
> buying EdgeRouter Lite where, as I understand, all 3 ports would be
> available. And 3 ports is the minimum amount required for my own purposes.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Pawel Waga
>

No comments:

Post a Comment