Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Re: newsyslog: timestamp (date) instead of 0, 1, 2, ... in new log file name

I have exactly the same concern / request. newsyslog should be
able to archive with dates rather than count. I'd code it as a flag to
newsyslog if I had the time. Or the skill, really. sysadmin != coder.
I'm just agreeing because sometimes magical kernel hackers fix
my problems for me.

Having static date based names for the gzipped archived log files
makes for cleaner backups, and much easier recovery of log files
from backups when tracing a problem.

For instance:
authlog.20170531.gz

If there's a name collision with just day, then I'd add time
authlog.20170531T123456.gz




--
View this message in context: http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/newsyslog-timestamp-date-instead-of-0-1-2-in-new-log-file-name-tp317952p319767.html
Sent from the openbsd user - misc mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment