Monday, May 01, 2017

/usr on NFS, id(1) not found by netstart (diskless client)

Hi,

I configured a diskless client which mounts /usr from a file server
(both running OpenBSD 6.1 -release).

The client say, as it is running /etc/rc,

pf enabled
starting network
/etc/netstart[189]: id: not found
/etc/netstart[189]: != 0: unexpected `!='

The problem, I assume, is that id(1) lives in /usr/bin and since /usr
hasn't yet been mounted, it's not found.

This doesn't seem to affect the boot in any way since the network
appears to come up and the filesystems are mounted properly.

The client has the following in its /etc/fstab:

server:/export/client/root / nfs rw,soft,tcp,intr
server:/export/shared/usr /usr nfs rw,wxallowed,soft,tcp,intr,nodev
server:/export/shared/home /home nfs rw,soft,tcp,intr,nodev,nosuid

Let me know if I have misunderstood anything regarding this. Would I
need to move /export/shared/usr back into /export/client/root, for
example? What would be a better hiearchy to use if I wanted to add
multiple clients that share /usr (or even better, share as much as
possible)?

BTW, the mount options for for the root directory (soft,tcp,intr) seems
to be ignored. I'm assuming this is because it's not remounted once the
network has been started (and it may not even be possible to do that).

I also noticed that if I use -ro for /export/shared/usr in /etc/exports
on the file server, I am still able to mount the share read-write.


Cheers,
Kusalananda

No comments:

Post a Comment