Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Re: PCEngines APU4B4 doesn't boot AMD64 when PXE is activated in the bios

I stand corrected. Chris, you are right. My humble apologies.

The boot.conf file had wrong file encoding.
boot tftp:/bsd.rd was used, but not the stty and set tty com0 bits
before.
This resulted into exactly what you described.

I could double check the same behavior on the USB key AMD64 boot (where
my tests at 3AM where obviously wrong).
At some point in time I guess that I forgot to type theses instructions
and just draw the wrong conclusions.

Regarding the DHCP issues with iPXE, they have been fixed in the latest
version of the BIOS (4.8.0.3).
I didn't find it in the changelog, but it works properly now.

So, thank you Chris for your help, and sorry again.

I won't make the same mistake twice and rush things, time to go to bed
:-)

'night everyone


Le 2018-08-30 01:38, Arnaud BRAND a écrit :
> Sorry, no. If you forget this, the board won't reboot, it just won't
> show what it is doing.
> Also, this was done (set in the tftp boot.conf).
> I can replicate at will just by swapping between i386 and amd64
> pxeboot and bsd.rd files on the tftp server, without touching anything
> else (leaving boot.conf and random.seed alone).
>
> ------ Message d'origine ------
> De: "Chris Cappuccio" <chris@nmedia.net>
> À: "Arnaud BRAND" <arnaud.brand--obsd@tib.cc>
> Cc : misc@openbsd.org
> Envoyé : 30/08/2018 01:25:13
> Objet : Re: PCEngines APU4B4 doesn't boot AMD64 when PXE is activated
> in the bios
>
>> This sounds exactly like what happens when you don't do this at the
>> boot> prompt:
>>
>> stty com0 115220
>> set tty com0
>>
>> Arnaud BRAND [arnaud.brand--obsd@tib.cc] wrote:
>>> Good evening list,
>>>
>>> I recently bought a PCEngine APU4B4
>>> https://www.pcengines.ch/apu4b4.htm
>>> AMD GX-412TC, 1 GHz quad Jaguar core / 64 bit and AES-NI / 4GB RAM
>>>
>>> I had absolutely no problem booting and installing i386 OpenBSD 6.3
>>> and
>>> snapshots over PXE.
>>> With the AMD64 version, it wouldn't boot, it crashed immeditely after
>>> the
>>> "entry point at 0x1000158" line and rebooted.
>>>
>>> I found Neels' page (http://hofmeyr.de/OpenBSD%20on%20APU4/, BTW
>>> thanks
>>> Neels) who had no problem installing AMD64 from USB.
>>> So I tried that, both with 6.3 and snapshot, but it ended the same.
>>> To be precise, the "8" at the end of the "entry point at" line never
>>> shows
>>> up.
>>> The reboot/reset occurs after the 5 character.
>>>
>>> I was beginning to think that my APU was broken, but decided to try
>>> again,
>>> this time disabling the PXE capability in the bios.
>>> It worked immediately (like usual with OpenBSD).
>>>
>>> So, long story short, AMD64 kernels won't boot on APU4B4 when PXE
>>> boot is
>>> enabled in the BIOS.
>>>
>>> I don't know if there's anything to fix in OpenBSD as the embedded
>>> iPXE
>>> seems a bit buggy.
>>> I reckon this might be the cause of the problem.
>>>
>>> For people who experience difficulties wiht PXE booting (i386), try
>>> the
>>> following :
>>> - break out to iPXE shell
>>> - run "dhcp" until iPXE picks up an address
>>> - and then resume PXE booting process by typing "autoboot"
>>>
>>>
>>> Arnaud
>>

No comments:

Post a Comment