Sunday, September 30, 2018

Re: Porting netdata

I've gotten to the stage where I need to create the plist for netdata. (I haven't touched any of the plugins yet; I want to package it so I can cleanly install/deinstall it and verify that I haven't broken anything.) The project's makefile creates a few directories in /var/lib that merely contain .keep files.

Is better to work around this with a post-install rule in the port Makefile or to patch the software itself to create its own local state directories if they don't exist?

- William

> On 11 Sep, 2018, at 00:22, William Leuschner <wel2138@rit.edu> wrote:
>
>> On 10 Sep, 2018, at 05:50, Stuart Henderson <stu@spacehopper.org> wrote:
>>
>> It's not going to be the simplest first port (it will need actual code
>> porting, rather than just writing ports Makefile etc).
>
> Yeah, I've already run into a few of these.
>
>> Many of the Linux-ish plugins use procfs which isn't very helpful -
>> the FreeBSD code is going to be closer but we don't have the
>> GETSYSCTL_BY_NAME/GETSYSCTL_SIMPLE interfaces, these need changing to
>> use sysctl(2).
>>
>> You probably want to refer to /usr/src/usr.bin/top while looking at
>> this.
>
> Thanks for these tips! I haven't yet made it to the FreeBSD plugin, but the source for top has offered a few hints in other places.
>
> Upstream also seems to be quite excited to have an OpenBSD port (or really ports to any other platform), which is great news!
> https://github.com/firehol/netdata/issues/601

No comments:

Post a Comment