Wednesday, October 31, 2018

New policy for mercurial extensions

For the last 6 months I've not updated the mercurial package to the
recent major versions because py-hg-git was not compatible. The
mercurial package contains code exposed to the network and I don't feel
comfortable backporting bugfixes just because some extensions are not
compatible with the recent API changes.

Mercurial 4.8 will include a lot of good changes and I don't want to put
on hold another version. In the next days, I will remove any broken
extension. I will do the same in the future for new mercurial versions.

This wiki explains how to keep a local copy in your home of the
extensions which are not available from ports:

https://www.mercurial-scm.org/wiki/UsingExtensions#Enabling_an_extension

I will ask for OKs for the deletion of packages with active maintainers
and will remove directly the ports with unactive maintainers. I will try
to update the extensions with a new version available but I will not try
too hard.

Cheers.


--
Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado http://juanfra.info

No comments:

Post a Comment