Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Re: New policy for mercurial extensions

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 11:42:35PM +0100, Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado wrote:
> For the last 6 months I've not updated the mercurial package to the
> recent major versions because py-hg-git was not compatible. The
> mercurial package contains code exposed to the network and I don't feel
> comfortable backporting bugfixes just because some extensions are not
> compatible with the recent API changes.
>
> Mercurial 4.8 will include a lot of good changes and I don't want to put
> on hold another version. In the next days, I will remove any broken
> extension. I will do the same in the future for new mercurial versions.
>
> This wiki explains how to keep a local copy in your home of the
> extensions which are not available from ports:
>
> https://www.mercurial-scm.org/wiki/UsingExtensions#Enabling_an_extension
>
> I will ask for OKs for the deletion of packages with active maintainers
> and will remove directly the ports with unactive maintainers. I will try
> to update the extensions with a new version available but I will not try
> too hard.

Just for information, regarding devel/py-hgnested, which I have proposed
to import, I don't use it anymore. So if nobody else use it, it could be
removed if it cause any problem.

I used it for Tryton (www.tryton.org), but the project switched to
another repository layout to avoid relying on an extension using
mercurial internals (and broken often at mercurial major changes).

Thanks.
--
Sebastien Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment