Friday, November 30, 2018

Re: [OT?] I have 4 IPs. How is outbound IP selected, say run lynx URL on server?

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 09:51:37PM +0100, Janne Johansson wrote:
> Den fre 30 nov. 2018 kl 21:32 skrev Chris Bennett
> <cpb_misc@bennettconstruction.us>:
> > I'm just curious. Is there a default method to select on this? Random?
> > Can I control this somehow?
> > It's clear how everything else selects IP, but I just wanted to know in
> > case that ever mattered, say one of my IPs were blocked.
> > And I wanted to be sure which IP outbound is or is not used for running
> > something like lynx, etc.
> >
> > Not terribly important, but at least interesting question for me.
>
> Normally, the IP on the interface which the route table says lead to the
> destination get chosen, unless the program deliberately chooses (or
> allows to choose) one of the other IPs you have.

When using the route you can specify which interface address to use (look
for -ifa in route(8)) else the kernel will use the IP address which gets
you to the gateway of that route.

--
:wq Claudio

No comments:

Post a Comment