Sunday, June 30, 2019

Re: cd command, chdir syscall, shell behavour

Hi Edgar,

Edgar Pettijohn wrote on Sat, Jun 29, 2019 at 07:48:35PM -0500:
> Ingo Schwarze wrote:

>> If you want to search for a manual page, use man(1).
>> If you want to search for packages, use pkglocate(1).

> I don't think this would be needed on openbsd as the default
> install has everything you need for a basic system and it's easy
> to add additional packages. However, as I learned when I set up
> a Debian box for my son to play Minecraft it didn't. So it was
> kinda nice when I typed ifconfig it informed me what package to
> install

That argument doesn't really apply even to Debian.
Just like i said

If you want to search for packages, use pkglocate(1).

for OpenBSD, you would say

$ apt-cache search ifconfig

on Debian. Different systems have different tools, but the concept
that each tool should focus on its own job still applies.

Besides, ip(8) was probably already installed and likely good enough
for your job.

> and I eventually got everything working no thanks to the
> piss poor manual pages provided.

And that even though in the Linux world, few systems insist that
everything should have a manual page as much as Debian does...

Yours,
Ingo

No comments:

Post a Comment