Thursday, October 31, 2019

Following current - pkg_add update forward depedencies don't match question

Hello

I just updated a system to current the other day.

OpenBSD 6.6 GENERIC.MP#411 amd64

The last time I updated was probably 2-3 months ago.

Anyway, when I went to updated packages (also following current/snapshots),
I got a number of "forward dependencies - don't match" notices and the
packages don't update.

For example:

gettext-0.19.8.1p3->gettext-runtime-0.20.1p0 forward dependencies:
| Dependencies of php-apache-7.1.27p0 on gettext-* don't match
| Dependencies of gnupg-1.4.23p1 on gettext-* don't match
| Dependencies of glib2-2.58.3p8 on gettext-* don't match
| Dependencies of courier-imap-4.18.2p0 on gettext-* don't match
| Dependencies of e2fsprogs-1.42.12p4 on gettext-* don't match
| Dependencies of libgpg-error-1.36 on gettext-* don't match
| Dependencies of python-3.6.8p0 on gettext-* don't match
| Dependencies of samba-4.8.9 on gettext-* don't match
| Dependencies of gdbm-1.16 on gettext-* don't match
| Dependencies of popt-1.16p1 on gettext-* don't match
| Dependencies of aspell-0.60.6.1p8 on gettext-* don't match
| Dependencies of libpsl-0.20.2 on gettext-* don't match
| Dependencies of wget-1.20.2 on gettext-* don't match
| Dependencies of php-7.1.27 on gettext-* don't match
| Dependencies of libidn-1.35 on gettext-* don't match
| Dependencies of monitoring-plugins-2.2p7 on gettext-* don't match
| Dependencies of python-2.7.16 on gettext-* don't match
| Dependencies of courier-authlib-0.68.0p4 on gettext-* don't match
| Dependencies of fetchmail-6.3.26p2 on gettext-* don't match
| Dependencies of pecl56-pecl_http-2.5.6p3 on gettext-* don't match
| Dependencies of p11-kit-0.23.15p0 on gettext-* don't match

When I check:
# pkg_info | grep gettext
gettext-0.19.8.1p3 GNU gettext runtime libraries and programs

And the mirror shows:
gettext-runtime-0.20.1p0.tgz

Or (another example), with similar notices about forward dependencies not
matching:
# pkg_info | grep php-7
php-7.1.27 server-side HTML-embedded scripting language

And the mirror shows:
php-7.1.32.tgz

I see that I can "force" the update with "pkg_add -u -D updatedepends".

It seems like this should be safe to do, but it's not something I have done
before.

While my system isn't "production" for a large multi-national, I do use it
as a file server and stuff, and it is working right now, and I don't want to
make it not work.

So, before I did this, I was wondering if there was anything I should
consider/do to address this issue, other than just "forcing" the update?

I guess, when at its core, I don't really completely understand what the
notice means, and how and why it happened.

Thanks
Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment