Thursday, April 30, 2020

Re: RCS file ownership?

Hi all!

Years ago, I mean 10+, I was -- strangely -- quite actively using RCS for local configuration file history management, and fell into the same pit myself.

I made this [1] off the cuff diff then, and reading this thread thought that I need to see how badly it would apply for today's tree.
Well, surprisingly, it succeeded without any rejections, so here it is, maybe someone will find it useful.

It's automatic, so no option to enable this when invoking rcs(1).

Also, all I did was just regenerating the diff, not compiled or tested now... And I'm pretty sure I have had some troubles with it back then...

Anyway, enjoy :)

Dani

[1] https://gist.github.com/levaidaniel/dfc71d782a6e023459c04a3f30ff5a6e

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 10:37:38 +0100
> From: Craig Skinner Skinner@Britvault.Co.UK
> To: misc@openbsd.org
> Subject: Re: RCS file ownership?
> Message-ID: 20200430103738.1f7304f6@fir.internal
>
> G'day Adam/all,
>
> On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 12:43:42 -0500 Adam Thompson wrote:
>
> > When I use co(1) with "-l" to check out a file (and/or "ci -l") is
> > there any way to preserve file ownership and not have it reset to
> > the user running co(1) or ci(1)?
>
> Attached is a script I've used for years to work around this issue.
>
> No licence, do what you want with it.
>
> Rather rubbish to do this in the shell....
>
> cop = check out, permissions
> cip = check in, permissions
>
> $ ls -ltrhF /usr/local/bin/c* | fgrep ciop
> -r-xr-xr-x 1 root bin 1.8K Jun 29 2013 /usr/local/bin/ciop*
> lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 4B Apr 13 2015 /usr/local/bin/cop@ -> ciop
> lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 4B Apr 13 2015 /usr/local/bin/cip@ -> ciop
>
> Cheers,
>
> ----------
>
> Craig Skinner | http://linkd.in/yGqkv7
>
> [Attachment of type application/octet-stream removed.]

No comments:

Post a Comment