Sunday, May 31, 2020

Forgetting pkg_add -u after sysupgrade can cause ansible msyscall errors

Hi,

For the sake of the archives and future search engine users, I'll share what
can happen when you use sysupgrade to upgrade your OpenBSD host but then
forget to run update your installed packages. (Yep, silly mistake, I know...)

After upgrading my Ansible host to 6.7, I noticed that each ansible command
outputted the following error, but it continued normally after that:

msyscall 1ba41d145000 a5000 error

The second word varied with each invocation, and I did not notice any other
adverse effects on that box. The error occurred with all ansible commands,
such as ansible, ansible-playbook and ansible-connection.

I was >< this close to sending a help request to this list, but I realized
I had not tried to see what would happen on a freshly installed 6.7 box.
It was then that I noticed that the new box had ansible-2.9.7 and
python-3.7.7, while the upgraded box had ansible-2.7.9 and python-3.6.8p0.
This caused me to realize I had forgotten to update my packages after doing
the sysupgrade... A quick "pkg_add -u" later and my problem was gone. D'oh!

So, moral of the story: don't forget to update your packages after a
sysupgrade.

Regards,

Jurjen Oskam

No comments:

Post a Comment