Sunday, May 31, 2020

Re: Forgetting pkg_add -u after sysupgrade can cause ansible msyscall errors

On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 08:19:18PM +0200, Jurjen Oskam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For the sake of the archives and future search engine users, I'll share what
> can happen when you use sysupgrade to upgrade your OpenBSD host but then
> forget to run update your installed packages. (Yep, silly mistake, I know...)
>
> After upgrading my Ansible host to 6.7, I noticed that each ansible command
> outputted the following error, but it continued normally after that:
>
> msyscall 1ba41d145000 a5000 error
>
> The second word varied with each invocation, and I did not notice any other
> adverse effects on that box. The error occurred with all ansible commands,
> such as ansible, ansible-playbook and ansible-connection.
>
> I was >< this close to sending a help request to this list, but I realized
> I had not tried to see what would happen on a freshly installed 6.7 box.
> It was then that I noticed that the new box had ansible-2.9.7 and
> python-3.7.7, while the upgraded box had ansible-2.7.9 and python-3.6.8p0.
> This caused me to realize I had forgotten to update my packages after doing
> the sysupgrade... A quick "pkg_add -u" later and my problem was gone. D'oh!
>
> So, moral of the story: don't forget to update your packages after a
> sysupgrade.

Heh

Always a good idea.

msyscall was kind of a "flag day". In case you don't know, most anything
dynamic that uses syscalls has to go through a specific area in libc now,
it makes all kinds of attacks more complex.

Some of us running current went through similar burps in case we forgot.

I must say, I'm happy I added @tag support a while back, this made this
specific package update much less painful.

No comments:

Post a Comment