Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Re: Machine age and OpenBSD - Thinkpad R51e

Hi

I have a R51e and OpenBSD i386 works great on it.
I upgraded memory its from 1 to 2gig, but 1gig is
plenty.

John

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 08:14:14PM -0400, Thomas Vetere wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>I was looking to get a laptop to run OpenBSD. The one I am looking at in
>particular is the Thinkpad R51e (2005). I like this particular model
>because it does not come with any extra hardware that OpenBSD does not
>support in the first place (bluetooth, camera, etc.) My main concern is the
>longevity that this model would have going forward. I already have a '94
>Thinkpad that cannot run the latest OpenBSD well because hardware support
>was gradually dropped during code cleanups, etc (i.e. newer versions of X11
>removed support for my ancient graphics chip because it just wasn't worth
>the time to maintain the code). Does anyone know, given the age of that
>model, how many years I might get out of it with OpenBSD and its packaged
>software before hardware support starts to drop? What is a good rule of
>thumb for selecting a machine to run OpenBSD with respect to its age?
>
>Thank you for your help!

No comments:

Post a Comment