Saturday, August 07, 2021

Re: Minimum RAM for Chrome

On Sat, Aug 07, 2021 at 01:15:52PM -0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>>> Am I running into system memory limits ("minimum 8GB RAM to surf the
>>> web"? what is the world coming to?) or is another issue likely the
>>> cause?
>>
>> I wouldn't rule that possibility out… I manage with Firefox on Linux
>> with a 2GB netbook, but only just: some websites just eat RAM like it's
>> going out of fashion. Playing videos definitely makes the problem
>> worse. Comparatively "simple" websites work okay but anything that's
>> real-time: all bets are off!
>>
>> I haven't tried OpenBSD on the same machine, but I suspect the problem
>> isn't limited to browser or OS. Your mileage will definitely depend on
>> the sort of website you frequently like to visit.
>
>OpenBSD doesn't do brilliantly with swapping.

Thanks. That's all rather depressing...

No comments:

Post a Comment