Saturday, August 07, 2021

Re: Minimum RAM for Chrome

On 2021-08-07, Stuart Longland <stuartl@longlandclan.id.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Aug 2021 14:19:04 +0000
> tetrahedra@danwin1210.me wrote:
>
>> Am I running into system memory limits ("minimum 8GB RAM to surf the
>> web"? what is the world coming to?) or is another issue likely the
>> cause?
>
> I wouldn't rule that possibility out… I manage with Firefox on Linux
> with a 2GB netbook, but only just: some websites just eat RAM like it's
> going out of fashion. Playing videos definitely makes the problem
> worse. Comparatively "simple" websites work okay but anything that's
> real-time: all bets are off!
>
> I haven't tried OpenBSD on the same machine, but I suspect the problem
> isn't limited to browser or OS. Your mileage will definitely depend on
> the sort of website you frequently like to visit.

OpenBSD doesn't do brilliantly with swapping.

No comments:

Post a Comment