Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Re: Normalizing behavior of MODRUBY_FLAVOR versus MODPY_FLAVOR

On 08/11 05:38, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
> I noticed that MODRUBY_FLAVOR doesn't include the comma, unlike
> MODPY_FLAVOR. That seemed a weird inconsistency. I'd like to make
> them the same. Since there are a lot less ruby ports than python,
> I nominated Ruby to change. :D
>
> I've cc'd the folks who are the maintainers of all the ports that used
> MODRUBY_FLAVOR since it's only 3 people. :)
>
> I changed ruby.port.mk so its usages of MODRUBY_FLAVOR where it expects
> no comma have ${MODRUBY_FLAVOR:S/,//}.
>
> I've inlined the diff that updates the usage in the existing 98 ports
> and then attached the diff for the ruby-module man page. (Just so it's
> easier to separate the diff for base versus the ports tree).
>
> Thoughts? OKs?

I don't see a significant benefit from making the Ruby and Python port
infrastructure more consistent. In my mind, MODRUBY_FLAVOR should be the
actual FLAVOR, not the FLAVOR preceded by a comma. Simply because
Python is more popular is not a reason for the Ruby port infrastructure
to become less logical.

I'm currently against this change, but I'll consider feedback from other
porters regarding it. Maybe there is a significant benefit I am not
seeing.

Thanks,
Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment