Monday, February 28, 2022

Re: OpenBSD Networking questions request answers

On 2/28/22 8:49 PM, Haiyan, YanX wrote:
> Hi misc,
>
> I am installing OpenBSD, following the configuration wizard, I configured a static IP as follows:

[...all real info not actually provided, so not useful...]

> But after the installation is complete, I can't access the Internet. When I execute the ping command, it appears
> ping: sendmsg: No route to host.
> When I do ping www.google.com<http://www.google.com> it doesn't do anything.

so dns is not working.

> The specific commands are as follows:
> ping 104.193.88.77
> PING 104.193.88.77(104.193.88.77): 56 data bytes
> ping: sendmsg: No route to host
> ping: wrote 104.193.88.77 64 chars, ret=-1
>
> Is this what is the reason?

One or more of the things you didn't tell us is wrong.

> I can guarantee that this network port is normal, and my IP, Netmask, and Gateway configuration are correct

I am pretty sure you are not correct on that guarantee.

> can you help me?
> thanks

Ping your external address. It should work (I'm not really sure how
that would fail, actually, but a positive result is satisfying)

Ping something else on your network. That should work. If not,
you have a very basic network config issue.

ping your gateway by doing this:
$ ping `cat /etc/mygate`

If you can ping your gateway, then there's something blocking you there,
otherwise you aren't getting to your gateway.

I'm guessing you have a typo in your IP address or gateway causing the
gateway to not be in the same subnet as your machine...but you provided
no hard details, so it's just basic troubleshooting. Static IP configuration
definitely works with OpenBSD, so pretty sure you have something wrong,
declaring your config was correct and beyond question will prevent you
from fixing the problem.

Nick.

No comments:

Post a Comment