Thursday, June 30, 2022

Re: USB ethernet adapter?

> Hi,
>
> My PCEngines APU died and I need to rebuild my router.
>
> I'm throwing together an old desktop, but ultimately I'd like to use a
> Raspberry Pi that I bought to play with.
>
> My network configuration needs 2 wired interfaces. I don't have a switch
> that will do vlans, and I don't want to have to configure all of that.
>
> This is only for a 20 Meg (bi directional) connection, so not stressing
> things too much.
>
> What would be a good USB to ethernet (RJ45) adapter that is supported by
> OpenBSD?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve W.

Hi Steve,

this bandwidth will be fine even on a RPI3 (tried here on old link, it was
fine up to 50Mbps without queuing).

I have now a RPI4 4GB and an USB Trendnet usb3 adapter:

rpi4_obsd /bsd: axen0 at uhub0 port 3 configuration 1 interface 0 "ASIX
Elec. Corp. AX88179" rev 3.00/1.00 addr 3
rpi4_obsd /bsd: axen0: AX88179, address xxxxxxxxxx
rpi4_obsd /bsd: rgephy0 at axen0 phy 3: RTL8169S/8110S/8211 PHY, rev. 5

that despite some messages like this:

rpi4_obsd /bsd: axen0: checksum err (pkt#1)

will do fine. Nowadays the link is 200/80 Mbps and I use queuing fine. For
20Mbps even the usb2 Linksys 100Mbps ethernet will do for you.

att,

matheus

No comments:

Post a Comment