Monday, October 31, 2022

unexpected behavior from neofetch in snapshots

There seems to be a problem between neofetch and bash in snapshots.
neofetch displays the ASCII logo for the OS and most of the expected
information about the system it's running on, but stops then shows the
next command prompt in the middle of the logo, leaving out the usual
colored blocks. With 7.2-release and earlier I got behavior as seen in
expected.png. With 7.2-current I get behavior as seen in current.png.
Running "neofetch -v" shows the following error:

/usr/local/bin/neofetch: line 3802: bad substitution: no closing `}' in ${block_spaces// /${blocks}nl}

7.2-release uses bash-5.1.16 while -current uses bash-5.2.2 (with the
same version of neofetch in both), so I'm guessing that something
changed with bash between the two versions. I don't know much about
shell scripting, so all apologies for not being more helpful.

To show the expected behavior, I downloaded the -release version of bash
(5.1.16), renamed its binary, and told a copy of -current's neofetch to
use the renamed bash for execution.

Let me know if you need more information. I did check marc.info to see
whether anybody else had already reported this, so apologies in advance
if I missed something.

--
Norvell Spearman

No comments:

Post a Comment