Sunday, November 27, 2022

Re: pcengines apu{1,4} can't adjust CPU frequency automatically anymore

"Lévai, Dániel" <leva@ecentrum.hu> wrote:
> I don't know since when, unfortunately, but it seems
> auto-adjusting CPU frequency doesn't work anymore on my APU1
> and an APU4 PCEngines boards (I only have these versions at
> hand atm). They're both running an updated fw at v4.17.0.2.
>
> IIRC `apmd -A' + `sysctl hw.perfpolicy=auto' did the trick
> earlier, but I'll be honest, I haven't checked this since
> forever.
>
> APU1 has two and the APU4 has three frequencies to set:
> cpu0: 1000 MHz: speeds: 1000 800 MHz
> cpu0: 998 MHz: speeds: 1000 800 600 MHz
>
> I can manually adjust this with hw.setperf when hw.perfpolicy
> is 'manual', so setting the frequency actually works, it's just
> that it can't seems to "detect" load/change when it's set to
> 'auto'.

Hello!

Since some time auto scaling (by OpenBSD) is disabled while the
system is connected to AC power. This might not be a problem
since many systems seems to handle scaling by themself.

My APU4 has about the same temperature as before the upgrade.
Setting the CPU speed to 600MHz does not lower the temperature.
While perfpolicy is set to auto, if I start four "openssl speed"
the temperature will quickly rise.

My conclusion from this is that the APU4 will handle scaling on
its own.

Best regards,
Jan J

No comments:

Post a Comment