Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Re: self-hosted man.openbsd.org script?

Mihai Popescu <mihscu@gmail.com> writes:

> [ removed elaborate instruction about going html from almost txt
> with
> man pages ]
>
> All this to jump in html boat? Or I got it wrong?
> Are old man pages deprecated?

It can be convenient to have Web-based access to the man pages for
systems or software that one isn't currently using (or that isn't
already installed).

Gentoo is my daily driver, and as it turns out, the OpenBSD man
pages are available as a package in the GURU repo, so i have that
package installed to allow me to read those man pages on my Gentoo
box:

$ man cat

will get me the man page for GNU coreutils 'cat', but:

$ man 1bsd cat

will get me the man page for OpenBSD's 'cat'.

In the absence of such packaging, a Web-based UI for reading the
man pages of other systems can be really helpful (e.g. for
checking what functionality is and isn't implemented in a given
system's implementation of a particular program, for portability
reasons).


Alexis.

No comments:

Post a Comment