Sunday, April 07, 2024

Re: ipv6 assistance

On 2024-04-07 10:27 UTC, Stuart Henderson <stu.lists@spacehopper.org> wrote:
> On 2024-04-06, Florian Obser <florian@openbsd.org> wrote:
>> Someone with pull at UPC^W ziggo^W vodafone^W liberty global could potentially get that situation improved.
>
> Often on an OpenBSD box using one of these connections, you want
> one or more /64s rather than a host address, I don't think there's
> an alternative to DHCPv6-PD for that unless the ISP will do static
> addressing.
>

I was alluding that I would implement DHCPv6-PD in (probably) rad(8) if
ziggo stopped to be stupid. Or their cpe stopped to be stupid. I.e. the
way things get done in OpenBSD: Someone has a use case and the means to
do something about it. I have the means but no use case.

I'm currently using it with slaac so I have a single collision
domain, but all my devices get native IPv6 from a single /64.

They are not speaking DHCPv6 at all. I can login to the CPE and switch
from slaac to dhcp. Which is pretty much nonsensical. The effect is that
slaac stops working and the dhcp server tells me: no lease or something
to that effect.

There are some forum posts, all in Dutch, of people who try to argue the
finer points of IPv6 with ziggo support - which unsurprisingly isn't
going anywhere.

> Though it would be nice if they'd also allow getting a single address
> via slaac. With NAT that's enough for use on a router too ;)
>
>> On 6 April 2024 19:04:52 CEST, Peter Hessler <phessler@theapt.org> wrote:
>>>OpenBSD natively supports IPv6 addressing via static configuration and
>>>SLAAC. We do not have a DHCPv6 client in base, so currently you have to
>>>use a package for that.
>
> A simple daemon that just runs as a PD client would be pretty welcome.
> At least dhcpcd is nicely privilege-separated (and uses pledge on OpenBSD)
> though it does have a lot more features than are needed for this common
> use case.
>
>
> --
> Please keep replies on the mailing list.
>

--
In my defence, I have been left unsupervised.

No comments:

Post a Comment