Saturday, July 06, 2024

Re: (boring) why is KEEPKERNELS unset and obj gets cleaned?

Anon Loli <anonloli@autistici.org> writes:
>
> I understand, I was a programmer and hopefully will be again..
> In my opinion the CVS itself should take care in preventing the "missbehaving",
> doesn't git do that already? I hope that we're on the same page..
> I'm just not always understanding/understandable..

CVS (or git) take care of the source tree, files which are under
/usr/src directory, and not the files already present in /usr/include or
/usr/lib directories.

> I don't want the reproductibility of the build, as I want to change the source
> code of the src/sys/dev/pci/azalia.c :) consider me a tester :P
> And it's such a shame that I have to wait a lot of hours... AGAIN
> So as far as I understand, in the future, all I need is KEEPKERNELS as I
> already now how.

if you want to only build a kernel, go in the right directory and build
only a kernel :-)

$ cd /sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP
$ make obj
$ make config
$ make clean # (if previous step asked for)
$ make # (or with -j2, -j4…)
$ doas make install

[and reboot to effectively use the build kernel]

note that the previous example assumes:
- amd64 architecture
- GENERIC.MP kernel

a full release(8) build isn't necessary for that.

Regards.
--
Sebastien Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment