Tuesday, July 09, 2024

Re: [solved]: vi: How to display German umlauts?

On Tue, Jul 09, 2024 at 12:38:02PM +0200, rfabris@mhsmail.ch wrote:
> Dear Страхиња Радић,
> dear Jan,
> dear Christian
>
> Thanks a lot for your prompt and helpful answers!
>
> ---
> Am 2024-07-08 20:35, schrieb Страхиња Радић:
> > vi lacks a lot of built-in quality of life features that Vim has.
>
> Yes, I know Vim from Arch Linux. But for OpenBSD, I'd like to try to
> stick to the base install as close as possible.
>
> ---
> Am 2024-07-08 21:05, schrieb Jan Stary:
> > On Jul 08 18:55:11, rfabris@mhsmail.ch wrote:
> > > As I'd rather not switch to vim, I'd be very grateful for any tips
> > > concerning the display of umlauts in vi.
> >
> > vi can't do it.
>
> Thanks for confirming, Jan!
>
> ---
> Am 2024-07-08 22:07, schrieb Christian Weisgerber:
> > There's a port and package of nvi-2.2.1, which is a close relative
> > of the base system nvi that has been extended with wide character
> > support.
>
> I have just installed nvi, and the umlauts are displayed correctly.
> Many thanks for this tip!
>
> ---
> I'm very grateful for the help misc@openbsd.org offers. A big thank
> you to all the list contributors - and of course to all the contributors
> and committers of OpenBSD itself. My family and I are very happy
> to be able to use it for our daily home office work.
>
> Best regards
>
> Rolf
>
>
>
>

Once upon a time I decided to take a look at Vim source code
I did a wc -l, and it gave me like 700000 LOC of *.c and *.h files like what
the fuck?
Do you know how much 700k of SLOC is?
Terry Davis made a reasonably good OS in just 100k of SLOC!
Very easy to hide malicious stuff like the backdoor that was in xz!

That's why I use vi, and am working on my own text editor.. I don't know if
it'll ever be good, but I'm aiming for Vi-like simplicity, suckless code base
and Vim-like features (only most useful ones, the rest would be in a
patch-form, like suckless.org has)
Also when I said "am working", it's more like "was working and will work on it
again", but I have a problem right now which has paused my programming life...
I'm working on it
If you're interested, perhaps one day you'll want to test it out..

I'm not sure about the license thought... as I despise licenses and even having
a copyleft license like CC is getting on my nerves, software should be free,
and non-personal information should be free, too, without any IP or a
requirement for a file "LICENSE".. those are just my 2 cents..
It's a little more complicated than that, let's just say that I don't want
being required to specify a LICENSE file... I'm just curious about the
consequences, would you use a open source peace of software that in the README
says "you can use it for whatever you want with no strings attached, and that's
about it."?

I'm probably rambling needlessly again, that's why none care about what I say

No comments:

Post a Comment