Monday, July 01, 2024

X shared memory extension

I think, firefox behaviour may concern security. I am curious to know if it is a
(permitted!) misuse of the shared memory extension and if it is possible
to disable this misuse.

I consider the answer of Jan Stary just as noise.

Rod

Am Sa., 29. Juni 2024 um 16:16 Uhr schrieb Roderick <hruodr@gmail.com>:
>
> Long ago I wanted to run firefox on OpenBSD on an OpenBSD xterm
> displayed on an X server
> running on FreeBSD. I expected, of course, a firefox running on
> OpenBSD displayed on my
> FreeBSD X server. What else could I have expected? To my surprise, it
> run the firefox installed
> on FreeBSD.
>
> I found it annoying, it is not what I wanted, not what I expected, at
> least not without warning and
> asking me before. I would have wanted that, I would have issued the
> command on my local machine.
>
> The whole time I asked me, how firefox did that, why X11 allowed it.
> Now, I think here is the
> answer:
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/3515/how-do-i-launch-a-remote-firefox-window-via-ssh
>
> Is there a way to disable that behaviour as default? Is this "feature"
> not a misuse of the
> X shared memory extension?
>
> Rod.

No comments:

Post a Comment