Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Re: Apple Macbook Air (M1) lost bwfm

On 2024-09-25, Jan Stary <hans@stare.cz> wrote:
> This is 7.6-beta/arm64 (#179) on an MBA (M1, 2020),
> the last kernel used is this:
>
> https://github.com/janstary/dmesg/blob/master/apple-macbook-air-A2337.20240915
>
> While this listing shows
> bwfm0 at pci1 dev 0 function 0 "Broadcom BCM4378" rev 0x03: msi
> and it worked (I pkg_add-u'd the packages after the upgrade),
> now I don't even have bwfm - with this same kernel, or with
> an older /obsd (#31 of May's 7.5).
>
> I blame the macOS upgrade to 15.0 (24A335) but I can't be sure.
> Is it possible the macOS upgrade did something to the firmware?
> OpenBSD has bwfm-firmware-20200316.1.3p3 installed.

OpenBSD/arm64 on Apple hardware doesn't use firmware from bwfm-firmware,
there's some process to copy it from MacOS via the Asahi installer and
it's then picked up by the OpenBSD installer. (I'm not sure of all the
details, the only option for wifi on mine involves a chain of dongles).

But if it's not showing in dmesg at all, you're not at the point where
firmware would be used anyway.

dmesg might be useful if you've got some way to transport it (usb stick,
usb ethernet, etc)

> Also, I have lost hw.sensors.aplsmc,
> not sure how that would happen ...
>
> I'll try another upgrade once I get a USB-C stick I can use.

Worth a try.



--
Please keep replies on the mailing list.

No comments:

Post a Comment