Sunday, September 01, 2024

Re: How to add support to OpenSMTPD to distinguish between MTA and MSA operation mode?

On Sun, 01 Sep 2024 13:12:19 +0200,
Christian Schulte <schulte.it@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I just started to read OpenSMTPD sources. Regarding the latest
> discussions on tech@, there maybe seems to be the need to instruct
> OpenSMTPD listeners to behave differently when acting as MTA or MSA.
> Reading man smtpd.conf(5)[1] there is an option to add a tag to the
> "listen on [socket]" directive. Those tags are currently used in "match"
> directives. Maybe this could be extended to add well known tags to a
> listener to control operation modes like MTA or MSA. Both of this is
> documented in corresponding RFCs. Is there any interest for me to take a
> closer look any maybe come up with some patches tech@? I am really just
> starting to read OpenSMTPD sources. If there already is a way to
> instruct OpenSMTPD listeners to behave differently regarding to - for
> example - handling message ids based on in either MTA or MSA mode,
> please let me know. I would like to avoid spending time into this, if
> there is no interest but I think there really should be a way to
> configure listeners to specific operation modes like MTA or MSA.
>

As far as I know and had discovered by reading sources the specified
behaviour for the MSA like adding Message-Id is triggered only when listener
is used submission port.

So, simple use submission port and that's it.

P.S. I think that misc@opensmtpd.org is the right misc@ for this email.

--
wbr, Kirill

No comments:

Post a Comment