Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Re: rw- directory mode : different ls behavior

On Tue, Sep 17, 2024 at 10:56:27AM +0200, Denis Bodor wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2024 at 09:43:27AM +0200, tomas.rippl@tutanota.com wrote:
> > I would expect that without the 'x' bit, the directory is not searchable
> > and I won't be able to list its contents. But in fact I can, unless I
> > use a long format (-l, -g or -n).
> >
> > Can someone please explain the above behaviour? Thank you. Tom
>
> Very roughly...
> The list of files in a directory is information about the directory.
> If you chmod -r my-test-dir, this information will no longer be available,
> for example.
> The file size is information about the files themselves; to read it, you
> need to be in the directory. But as you can't, it's unreadable.
>
> --
> Denis
>

It's a bit more complicated than that AFAICT. Although I can reproduce
this inside /tmp, the behaviour is not consistent. If I try to ls the
folder on a different shell -- e.g. a different terminal, or after
exiting script(1) -- the files aren't shown. Also, if I rm -rf the
folder and recreate it (i.e. reuse the name) the files also aren't shown
the second time around.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment