Sunday, September 29, 2024

Re: yt-dlp can't be outdated on non-current

On Sun, 29 Sep 2024 18:25:15 +0200,
Anon Loli <anonloli@autistici.org> wrote:
>
> The yt-dlp port simply stops working for it's primary use, which is YouTube
> stuff.
> It stops working after a few months, so it needs to be updated to the last
> release as soon as possible.
> I don't know exactly why things with YouTube stop working, but they just do...
> as said yt-dlp runs fine on -current, but not on -stable, and this has happened
> to me a few times already, so it's safe to assume that this will keep up.
>
> This is the very reason as to why it is tricky to use yt-dlp on non-current
> OpenBSD installs... I have to ssh into a -current machine, use yt-dlp and then
> scp files over to where I want them... all because yt-dlp breaks easily, most
> notably for YouTube usage.
>
> I beg for you to find or share a solution.
>
> I believe that I have tried "pkg_add -Dsnap -u yt-dlp" and it has not worked...
> perhaps it might work now but it won't work always, there was a error code,
> something to do with C version? This might be because last time I tried this, I
> was on 7.4 -stable machine, but latest yt-dlp was for 7.5 -current..
>
> yt-dlp has 85 total dependencies (make all-dir-depends), so I'm guessing that
> this might not be an easy task....
>
>
> Can there be anything done about this?

You may checkout ports for stable, and follow only -current inside
www/yt-dlp, after that just use make.

It can be a bit messy if libraries need to be upadted.

Something like this:

$ cvs -qd anoncvs@anoncvs@ftp.hostserver.de:/cvs checkout -rOPENBSD_7_5 -P ports
...
$ cd ports/www/yt-dlp/
yt-dlp $ cvs -q up -Pd -A
P Makefile
U distinfo
U patches/patch-pyproject_toml
cvs server: patches/patch-setup_py is no longer in the repository
P pkg/PLIST
yt-dlp $ env PORTSDIR_PATH=$(pwd)/../.. make show=VERSION
2024.08.06
yt-dlp $

--
wbr, Kirill

No comments:

Post a Comment