Thursday, October 17, 2024

Re: multicast relay?

On Wed, Oct 16, 2024 at 10:26:38PM -0700, Nick Owens wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 16, 2024 at 3:57 PM Hannu Vuolasaho <vuokkosetae@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I'm trying to get mDNS and other multicast protocols from IoT LAN to computer LAN.
> > I did this with Linux with https://github.com/marjohn56/udpbroadcastrelay tool.
> >
> > However I don't really like that and that tool doesn't even build out of box on OpenBSD.
> >
> > If I understand correctly, pf doesn't care about broadcast/multicast stuff.
> > Please correct me if I'm wrong.
> >
> > What piece of software would relay the broadcasts and multicasts.
> > Also those rewrites would be nice as some devices are a little bit picky about the packets.
>
> for mDNS, avahi-daemon allows this in some form via the
> `enable-reflector` option in the config file.

+1

I'm using it exactly for this sort of thing (I needed to forward mDNS
zeroconf stuff across VLANs, to allow fruit-branded laptops and
smartphones to use printers, and stream audio to hosts running
shairport-sync + sndio, whilst keeping them all segregated on their own
VLANs).

Pretty straightforward to configure. It's all done in
/etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf, but let me know if you need a hand.

>
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Hannu Vuolasaho
>

--

No comments:

Post a Comment