Thursday, October 17, 2024

Re: Network card not seen (not even from dmesg)

Jan Stary <hans@stare.cz> writes:

> On Oct 16 23:46:22, d1.andrea@icloud.com wrote:
>> OpenBSD running on a MacBook Pro (M1, 2020).
>> It's not about the drivers, I don't even see the wifi card at the dmesg!
>> The strange fact is that on previous installations everything went
>> smoothly, I installed OpenBSD and then the bwi firmware downloaded
>> previously on an SD card from my macOS installation.
>>
>> What could've changed? Well the only thing that comes to my mind is that I updated from macOS 14.5 to 14.7.
>
> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=172726951910711&w=2
>
> I also blame the macOS upgrade, because I even lost bwfm
> with _the_same_ OpenBSD kernel.

In short, upgrading macOS can have negative affects as it can change
things in the EFI partition afaik. I'm not one of our M1/2 experts, but
from my own experience using OpenBSD on my systems is I think we use
device information and firmware from the system/EFI partition. (I'm sure
a dev will correct me if I'm wrong here.)

So, tl;dr: it's not safe to blindly run macOS updates. It's been known
to cause havoc with Asahi and OpenBSD because of how it changes things
we were depending on.

-dv

No comments:

Post a Comment