Sunday, August 30, 2026

Re: www/librewolf: simplify mozconfig maintenance

I confirm that LibreWolf compiles and runs perfectly, with these two patches applied. I'm now quite happy with the port. Especially with that first patch, which brings the port in sync fully with www/mozilla-firefox. In sync means: the only differences between the two ports are the same differences between upstream FireFox and upstream LibreWolf, on the given version, which is also in sync. This includes updating the AI policy in LibreWolf, locking the disablement options; LibreWolf upstream already disabled AI in exactly the same way that OpenBSD's firefox port does, but I just made it lock the toggles like the ff port does. With the change to the way mozconfig is maintained, updating this port will be much easier from now on as mozconfig is now handled in patches/, with Makefile pre-configure only changing what is required at build time (mitigating the fact that CONFIGURE_ARGS has no effect with mozconfig by replicating OpenBSD's configuration there by patching mozconfig at build time). Am 30.08.26 um 09:51 schrieb Leah Rowe: > Hi everyone, > > (I still haven't learned CVS. I patched the GitHub mirror) > > This patch greatly simplifies the maintenance of the mozconfig file in > LibreWolf, used for build-time configuration. The port patches > mozconfig, because its use invalidates use of CONFIGURE_ARGS. > > The port currently maintains an entire file at: files/mozconfig-openbsd > > The file is copied, and then additional, conditional build-time > configuration is performed by the Makefile via pre-configure. This > design means that the mozconfig must be maintained versus upstream, > and it's quite easy to forget checking upstream changes. Upstream > changes are rarer, but I did have to update mozconfig recently. > > In this new design, a simple patch is maintained the normal way, using > the ports system's own patching mechanism. Additional build-time > configuration is still performed in pre-configure. To avoid duplicated > configuration on re-builds, the mozconfig is copied on the first build > and then the copy is restored on subsequent builds; this copy is the > original version, as created by the patch at patches/patch-mozconfig. > > Please note: this patch should be applied on top of the previous patch > that I sent to this list, that updated the mozconfig and policy > configs. That is why REVISION=1 in the Makefile, because the previous > patch added REVISION=0 > > If it is so desired, maintainers may squash these two patches > together. For convenience, I have also attached *that* patch to this > email. > > The benefit of this patch is that it is now quite impossible to forget > checking upstream changes on mozconfig, because we patch it the normal > way. If the patch doesn't apply on updates, then we well know it. This > also updates rebases, as the mozconfig changes can now be updated > automatically using: make update-patches > -- Company director, Minifree Ltd Registered in England, No. 9361826 | VAT No. GB202190462 Registered Office: 19 Hilton Road, Canvey Island, Essex SS8 9QA, UK

No comments:

Post a Comment