Sunday, September 13, 2026

Re: NEW: archivers/7zip

On Fri, 11 Sep 2026 11:29:47 -0400 (EDT) obsd@mulh.net wrote: > On 2026-09-11 1:30:36, George Koehler wrote: > > The big differences right now are > > - You build all of 7z 7za 7zr 7zz; I build only 7z and symlink the > > other 3 names to 7z. (We both build 7zCon.sfx.) > > Please don't do that. > There's a reason why 7z has separate programs. > They are not all the same. See attachment. I changed my port to build the separate 7za and 7zr, but not 7zz. It neither builds 7zz nor links 7zz to 7z. ed@groovyexpress.com proved that 7za and 7zr work on OpenBSD. My binaries of 7za and 7zr don't look too big: $ ls -lh /usr/local/{bin,lib/7zip}/7z* -rwxr-xr-x 1 root bin 908K Sep 12 20:33 /usr/local/bin/7z -rwxr-xr-x 1 root bin 2.1M Sep 12 20:33 /usr/local/bin/7za -rwxr-xr-x 1 root bin 1.5M Sep 12 20:33 /usr/local/bin/7zr -rw-r--r-- 1 root bin 4.3M Sep 12 20:33 /usr/local/lib/7zip/7z.so -rwxr-xr-x 1 root bin 685K Sep 12 20:33 /usr/local/lib/7zip/7zCon.sfx Compare to others: - Void Linux builds 7zz, links 7z 7za 7zr to 7zz. - FreeBSD builds 7zz, links 7z to 7zz. - pkgsrc builds 7zz. - Arch builds 7z 7za 7zr. - Fedora builds 7z 7za 7zr 7zz in 4 subpackages. - Debian builds 7z 7za 7zr in a subpackage and 7zz in a subpackage. For OpenBSD, I want 7zip to replace p7zip (which had 7z 7za 7zr), so 7zip must have 7z 7za 7zr. I care less whether 7za is a link or the separately built 7za; the difference is that the separate 7za knows fewer formats: "7z l /bin/sh" lists ELF sections but a separate "7za l /bin/sh" can't open it. I don't seem to need 7zz. x11/mate/engrampa would run 7zz, but can run 7z instead. --gkoehler

No comments:

Post a Comment