Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Re: [NEW] net/chrony -> Fwd: Chrony 4.8 for ports

Stuart Henderson wrote on 15.09.2026 15:04: > On 2026/09/14 19:03, Thomas Kupper wrote: >> Hello, >> >> Find attached a slightly updated version of the chrony 4.9 port. >> >> No functional change but I moved the rc.d script from folder 'files' and >> using 'post-install' to the proper place in 'pkg' where it gets installed >> automagically. >> >> As Atanas, I'd be happy if it could be merged with ports or I'd make changes >> if such would be necessary. >> >> /Thomas >> >> On 30.08.2026 08:07, Thomas Kupper wrote: >>> Good Morning, >>> >>> A few days ago chrony 4.9 was released with support for OpenBSD >>> including pledge(2) support and support for refclock driver for OpenBSD >>> timedelta sensors. >>> >>> I'd very much welcome feedback and testing of chrony. >>> >>> For anyone not knowing what chrony is used for, here a short introduction: >>> >>> chrony is a versatile implementation of the Network Time Protocol (NTP). >>> It can synchronise the system clock with NTP servers, reference clocks >>> (e.g. GPS receiver), and manual input using wristwatch and keyboard. It >>> can also operate as an NTPv4 (RFC 5905) server and peer to provide a >>> time service to other computers in the network. >>> >>> The news about 4.9 (and previous versions) can be found at : >>>     https://chrony-project.org/news.html >>> >>> Find attached the OpenBSD ports archive for it. >>> >>> It run under the user _chrony which would have to be added to the >>> user.list beforehand with user ID 906, the lowest unused ID as of >>> today/2026-08-30. >>> >>> --- >>> diff -us infrastructure/db/user.list{.orig,} >>> --- infrastructure/db/user.list.orig    Sun Aug 30 07:49:54 2026 >>> +++ infrastructure/db/user.list    Sun Aug 30 07:49:15 2026 >>> @@ -414,3 +414,4 @@ >>>  903 _iaxmodem        _iaxmodem    telephony/iaxmodem >>>  904 _neighbot        _neighbot    net/neighbot >>>  905 _pgweb        _pgweb        www/pgweb >>> +906 _chrony        _chrony        net/chrony >>> --- >>> >>> The archive's content corresponds to tag 4.9 on my git repo >>> https://git.sr.ht/~patient0/chrony-OpenBSD-ports >>> >>> A note regarding dependencies: >>> >>> - it links against gnutls and nettle. On -current gnutls links against >>>   nettle 4 (security/nettle) and that is how this port is setup at the >>>   moment. >>>   On OpenBSD < 8.0 gnutls links against nettle 3, named >>>   security/libnettle. If one wants to compile chrony for OpenBSD < 8.0 >>>   you would have to change the Makefile accordingly. >>>   Does it make sense to adapt the Makefile to handle this situation or >>>   is handling -current only recommended? >>> >>> >>> Have an excellent Sunday >>> /Thomas >>> >>> On 28.08.2026 12:06, Thomas Kupper wrote: >>>> >>>> Atanas Vladimirov wrote on 28.08.2026 11:43: >>>>> On 2026-07-18 08:54, Thomas Kupper wrote: >>>>>> Atanas Vladimirov wrote on 16.07.2026 11:46: >>>>>>> On 2026-07-14 19:28, Thomas Kupper wrote: >>>>>>>> Atanas Vladimirov wrote on 13.07.2026 14:30: >>>>>>>>> On 2026-02-03 16:06, Thomas Kupper wrote: >>>>>>>>>> On 03.02.2026 13:48, Stuart Henderson wrote: >>>>>>>>>>> i'd be happier about having this in ports if the diffs supporting >>>>>>>>>>> openbsd were upstream, rather than coming from a fork. >>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>> Sure, that makes sense. I'll see if I can get into upstream. >>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>> /Thomas >>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> Hey Thomas, >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> Thanks for your work on chrony port for OpenBSD. >>>>>>>>> I was very pleased to find you work and I'm >>>>>>>>> testing your initial port more than a month now >>>>>>>>> :) >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> Glad it is of interest for you. Shaun Ren >>>>>>>> (https://github.com/ shaunren/chrony) is the >>>>>>>> original author, btw. >>>>>>> >>>>>>> Yes, I know that the cudos should go to Shaun Ren as the >>>>>>> owner of the changes :). I also tracked your efforts to >>>>>>> find/contact him. >>>>>>> >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> Also, I found that the OpenBSD support was >>>>>>>>> already merged into chrony gitlab repo and I >>>>>>>>> suppose that it will be >>>>>>>>> part of the next chrony release, right? >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> I would think so, yes. Miroslav is the maintainer >>>>>>>> and will decide I assume. >>>>>>> >>>>>>> Yes, let's see when the new chrony version (with OpenBSD >>>>>>> support) will pop up. >>>>>>> Then, I suppose that you will make/send a new port >>>>>>> version and hopefully, it will get merged officially, >>>>>>> right? >>>>>> >>>>>> I will send a new port when 4.9 with OpenBSD is released, >>>>>> yep. We will see if gets accepted. >>>>>> >>>>>> /Thomas >>>>>> >>>>> >>>>> Hey Thomas, >>>>> >>>>> Good news, chrony-4.9 has been released :) >>>>> (https://chrony-project.org/news.html) >>>> >>>> I saw it, yes, had update my repo for RC1. I'll get around to update >>>> the port and post it here in the next few days. >>>> >>>>> It includes two major changes: >>>>> >>>>> - Add support for OpenBSD >>>>> - Add refclock driver for OpenBSD timedelta sensors >>>>> >>>>> Once again thank you for you time and effort making this possible :) >>>>> >>>>> Best wishes, >>>>> Atanas >>>> > > rc script issues: > > - don't use 'name=chronyd', just put the daemon name in daemon like > all the other rc scripts > - use ${TRUEPREFIX} not /usr/local > - don't use 'daemon_flags=""', just skip the line if there are no > default flags > - drop the 'doesn't support reload AFAIK' comment Thanks a lot for having a look at it, Stuart. Attached it an archive with your proposed changes to the rc script.

No comments:

Post a Comment