Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Re: [NEW] net/chrony -> Fwd: Chrony 4.8 for ports

On 2026-09-16 07:21, Thomas Kupper wrote: > Stuart Henderson wrote on 15.09.2026 15:04: >> On 2026/09/14 19:03, Thomas Kupper wrote: >>> Hello, >>> >>> Find attached a slightly updated version of the chrony 4.9 port. >>> >>> No functional change but I moved the rc.d script from folder 'files' >>> and >>> using 'post-install' to the proper place in 'pkg' where it gets >>> installed >>> automagically. >>> >>> As Atanas, I'd be happy if it could be merged with ports or I'd make >>> changes >>> if such would be necessary. >>> >>> /Thomas >>> >>> On 30.08.2026 08:07, Thomas Kupper wrote: >>>> Good Morning, >>>> >>>> A few days ago chrony 4.9 was released with support for OpenBSD >>>> including pledge(2) support and support for refclock driver for >>>> OpenBSD >>>> timedelta sensors. >>>> >>>> I'd very much welcome feedback and testing of chrony. >>>> >>>> For anyone not knowing what chrony is used for, here a short >>>> introduction: >>>> >>>> chrony is a versatile implementation of the Network Time Protocol >>>> (NTP). >>>> It can synchronise the system clock with NTP servers, reference >>>> clocks >>>> (e.g. GPS receiver), and manual input using wristwatch and keyboard. >>>> It >>>> can also operate as an NTPv4 (RFC 5905) server and peer to provide a >>>> time service to other computers in the network. >>>> >>>> The news about 4.9 (and previous versions) can be found at : >>>>     https://chrony-project.org/news.html >>>> >>>> Find attached the OpenBSD ports archive for it. >>>> >>>> It run under the user _chrony which would have to be added to the >>>> user.list beforehand with user ID 906, the lowest unused ID as of >>>> today/2026-08-30. >>>> >>>> --- >>>> diff -us infrastructure/db/user.list{.orig,} >>>> --- infrastructure/db/user.list.orig    Sun Aug 30 07:49:54 2026 >>>> +++ infrastructure/db/user.list    Sun Aug 30 07:49:15 2026 >>>> @@ -414,3 +414,4 @@ >>>>  903 _iaxmodem        _iaxmodem    telephony/iaxmodem >>>>  904 _neighbot        _neighbot    net/neighbot >>>>  905 _pgweb        _pgweb        www/pgweb >>>> +906 _chrony        _chrony        net/chrony >>>> --- >>>> >>>> The archive's content corresponds to tag 4.9 on my git repo >>>> https://git.sr.ht/~patient0/chrony-OpenBSD-ports >>>> >>>> A note regarding dependencies: >>>> >>>> - it links against gnutls and nettle. On -current gnutls links >>>> against >>>>   nettle 4 (security/nettle) and that is how this port is setup at >>>> the >>>>   moment. >>>>   On OpenBSD < 8.0 gnutls links against nettle 3, named >>>>   security/libnettle. If one wants to compile chrony for OpenBSD < >>>> 8.0 >>>>   you would have to change the Makefile accordingly. >>>>   Does it make sense to adapt the Makefile to handle this >>>> situation or >>>>   is handling -current only recommended? >>>> >>>> >>>> Have an excellent Sunday >>>> /Thomas >>>> >>>> On 28.08.2026 12:06, Thomas Kupper wrote: >>>>> >>>>> Atanas Vladimirov wrote on 28.08.2026 11:43: >>>>>> On 2026-07-18 08:54, Thomas Kupper wrote: >>>>>>> Atanas Vladimirov wrote on 16.07.2026 11:46: >>>>>>>> On 2026-07-14 19:28, Thomas Kupper wrote: >>>>>>>>> Atanas Vladimirov wrote on 13.07.2026 14:30: >>>>>>>>>> On 2026-02-03 16:06, Thomas Kupper wrote: >>>>>>>>>>> On 03.02.2026 13:48, Stuart Henderson wrote: >>>>>>>>>>>> i'd be happier about having this in ports if the diffs >>>>>>>>>>>> supporting >>>>>>>>>>>> openbsd were upstream, rather than coming from a fork. >>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>> Sure, that makes sense. I'll see if I can get into upstream. >>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>> /Thomas >>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>> Hey Thomas, >>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>> Thanks for your work on chrony port for OpenBSD. >>>>>>>>>> I was very pleased to find you work and I'm >>>>>>>>>> testing your initial port more than a month now >>>>>>>>>> :) >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> Glad it is of interest for you. Shaun Ren >>>>>>>>> (https://github.com/ shaunren/chrony) is the >>>>>>>>> original author, btw. >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> Yes, I know that the cudos should go to Shaun Ren as the >>>>>>>> owner of the changes :). I also tracked your efforts to >>>>>>>> find/contact him. >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>> Also, I found that the OpenBSD support was >>>>>>>>>> already merged into chrony gitlab repo and I >>>>>>>>>> suppose that it will be >>>>>>>>>> part of the next chrony release, right? >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> I would think so, yes. Miroslav is the maintainer >>>>>>>>> and will decide I assume. >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> Yes, let's see when the new chrony version (with OpenBSD >>>>>>>> support) will pop up. >>>>>>>> Then, I suppose that you will make/send a new port >>>>>>>> version and hopefully, it will get merged officially, >>>>>>>> right? >>>>>>> >>>>>>> I will send a new port when 4.9 with OpenBSD is released, >>>>>>> yep. We will see if gets accepted. >>>>>>> >>>>>>> /Thomas >>>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> Hey Thomas, >>>>>> >>>>>> Good news, chrony-4.9 has been released :) >>>>>> (https://chrony-project.org/news.html) >>>>> >>>>> I saw it, yes, had update my repo for RC1. I'll get around to >>>>> update >>>>> the port and post it here in the next few days. >>>>> >>>>>> It includes two major changes: >>>>>> >>>>>> - Add support for OpenBSD >>>>>> - Add refclock driver for OpenBSD timedelta sensors >>>>>> >>>>>> Once again thank you for you time and effort making this possible >>>>>> :) >>>>>> >>>>>> Best wishes, >>>>>> Atanas >>>>> >> >> rc script issues: >> >> - don't use 'name=chronyd', just put the daemon name in daemon like >> all the other rc scripts >> - use ${TRUEPREFIX} not /usr/local >> - don't use 'daemon_flags=""', just skip the line if there are no >> default flags >> - drop the 'doesn't support reload AFAIK' comment > > Thanks a lot for having a look at it, Stuart. > > Attached it an archive with your proposed changes to the rc script. Hey Stuart, I wonder if you have further concerns here and if no, then can we have the port merged before the 8.0 release? What do you think? Thanks in advance! Atanas

No comments:

Post a Comment