Wednesday, October 21, 2026

Re: Intent to package: botan3

On 2026/10/21 13:50, Stuart Lamble wrote: > Currently, OpenBSD only has botan2 in the ports tree. This went end of life at the start of 2025. As part of my work to get patches into the upstream for Kea, I was told that botan3 will be required very soon for RADIUS support, so I've done some preliminary work to that end (see attached tarball, intended to be unpacked into /usr/ports/security.) This is based on the existing botan2 port as a starting point. There are likely to be artefacts from that; this is very much an unpolished first cut. cc bluhm (botan2 maintainer), I wonder if you're interested in taking maintainer of this as well (no problem if not, I thought it would be polite to ask). > Current state: > - It compiles. > - "make check" succeeds - all tests are reported to pass. (At least on my virtual aarch64 instance.) > - I am uncertain about several of the patches from botan2 (in the patches_orig directory): they appear to be patching CPU capability checks for ARM and PPC, but I am not confident enough in my reading of the upstream code to know whether they are still necessary. I don't THINK they are, but I can't swear to it. these were committed upstream, but directory layout changed. > - I am not certain what to do about the build-data/os/openbsd.txt patch. I can get it to apply cleanly if I remove the elf_aux_info addition, but I'm certain that it's not quite correct. I'd appreciate some commentary from the more seasoned hands here. new tgz attached adapts this for botan-3. > I'm not confident enough in my skills to formally take on maintaining this port (cryptography libraries give me the screaming heebie jeebies, mostly because I know how easily security can be broken without realising it), but I see a need if Kea is going to stay in the ports tree. > > Comments, feedback, suggestions for improvement, etc. are most definitely desired here. > > (I should also note that there should be a new release of botan3 very soon - probably the next two weeks - so it might be worth waiting for that to drop before officially committing things into ports.) I don't see a need to wait for that. I've checked build, packaging and make test (all tests succeed) on i386 amd64 aarch64. The only thing I see searching for it in bulk build so far is Kea and I can take care of that. any OKs to import?

No comments:

Post a Comment