Monday, July 31, 2017

Re: Split zone DNS?

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 9:58 AM, Steve Williams
<steve@williamsitconsulting.com> wrote:
> I would like to run a local resolver on my internal network that will
> resolve all my hosts on my local network to IP addresses on my local
> network(s) rather than resolving to their public IP addresses.
>
> What is the best tool to accomplish this these days? Is NSD the "modern"
> tool to be using on OpenBSD?
>
> Are there any hooks for dhcpd to update records?

I have found the readily available documentation unclear on how to
handle dynamic DNS updates when DHCP is in use. The advice I've seen
has basically been either to not bother, or to have DHCP assign fixed
addresses (i.e. don't do dynamic DNS). It's not totally clear whether
it's even possible using nsd/unbound and the base dhcpd, but what I've
seen indicates that it is not.

So, what I am doing instead is I'm using isc-dhcp-server and isc-bind
(from packages). Note that I provide DNS/DHCP service on my internal
network only (I do not provide any DNS name resolution of any kind on
my Internet-facing interfaces) so it's not really "split-horizon". If
I were to provide split-horizon DNS I would probably use two separate
machines, one providing internal service (using isc-dhcp-server and
isc-bind) and another providing external service (using nsd).

-ken

No comments:

Post a Comment