Friday, November 30, 2018

Re: Why stacking softraid disciplines is not supported?

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 04:21:51PM +0200, Justus Hämäläinen wrote:
> Would adding a new RAID 1 Crypto discipline be as 'simple' as creating a new
> softraid_raid1_crypto.c and adding the init function to the sr_discipline_init?
>
> Having each mode as a separate discipline has the advantage that the whole
> framework can be pretty simple. At least to my untrained eye softraid seem very
> uncomplicated functionality. Having separate disciplines could lead to duplication,
> but this can be battled by having common set of functions that can be shared.
>
> It seems that I found a project for the Christmas holidays :)
>
> - Justus
>

I did a very small start on RAID1C last year but don't have the diff
handy right now. It was very small anyway, I hadn't gotten anywhere
beyond very basic changes.

My goal back then was to have RAID1C be a proper discipline but implemented
mostly as glue code which calls into functions written for the CRYPTO and
RAID1 disciplines. But such functions could also be copied over to a RAID1C
discipline and modified until things work; and maybe refactored back later.

Let me know when you get started with this. I'd be interested in working on
RAID1C, but not all by myself. I could make use of RAID1C on my storage box.

No comments:

Post a Comment