Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Sudden problems logging into websites

This is a strange problem:
There are two websites (a bank and a healthcare provider) that I can
access using Firefox ESR or Chromium on Linux (OpenSUSE Leap 15.0).

But just starting a few weeks ago, I cannot log into these sites using
my OpenBSD 6.4 machine. I could log in last month, but I am not able to
log in now. I have tried both Firefox ESR and Iridium on OpenBSD. I've
tried changing my user agent string. I've also deleted all of my
browser preferences, but I still cannot log in. In one case, the
website prints an obscure error message after I enter my password. On
the other website, each time I enter my password it asks me to log in
again, without any error message. I've contacted the website
administrators of one site, and they're clueless.

I have not changed anything on my OpenBSD machine within in the last
month. But one of the websites has updated its appearance within the
last month. So, these websites appear to have made some sort of change
that causes this problem on OpenBSD, but not on Linux.

Is anyone else seeing this behavior?

No comments:

Post a Comment