Sunday, June 30, 2019

Re: dedicated user for sysutils/monit

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 02:49:26PM +0200, Joel Carnat wrote:
> BTW, following stu@'s "(...) I think it really needs more support (...)"
> remark, I searched for things that would break if Monit would not run as
> root. I found that the "network ping test" requires root access to run.
> I don't use it myself so I didn't notice it when running as _monit.
> Documentation says: "Monit must also run as the root user in order to be
> able to perform the ping test (because the ping test must use raw
> sockets which usually only the super user is allowed to)."

For the reason that you mentioned above, I don't think it is a good
idea to make monit run as a non-root user by default. As you noticed,
monit doesn't appear to be designed to be run as a non-root user.

Best regards,
Caspar Schutijser

No comments:

Post a Comment