Thursday, October 31, 2019

Re: Are KF5 and KDE4 packages supposed to coexists?

On Fri Oct 25, 2019 at 05:17:26PM +0100, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2019/10/25 17:27, Rafael Sadowski wrote:
> > On Thu Oct 24, 2019 at 09:02:44AM +0200, Federico Giannici wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I'd like to know if KDE4 packages are supposed to coexists with KF5 packages
> > > (OpenBSD amd64 6.6).
> > >
> > > In particular, I'd like to use both gwenview (KF5) and Juk (KDE4), but it
> > > seems that baloo-4.14.3p7 conflicts with kf5-icons-baloo-5.54.0, and
> > > kf5-icons-baloo-5.54.0 conflicts with baloo-4.14.3p7 (see below).
> > >
> > > Is this a known limitation?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Can't install kf5-icons-baloo-5.54.0 because of conflicts (baloo-4.14.3p7)
> > > Can't install gwenview-18.12.0p1: can't resolve kf5-icons-baloo-5.54.0
> >
> > This is correct, not all KDE4 and KF5 packages can coexists. The biggest
> > challenge here is the fight between baloo-4 and kf5-baloo.
> >
> > I GAVE UP to send new/replacement KDE5 ports to ports@. It doesn't get
> > any attention on the list and it's an impossible mission to get an OK
> > for it!
> >
> > Feel free to take the port from:
> >
> > https://github.com/sizeofvoid/openbsd-kde-wip
> >
> > If you need more ports, don't be shy and just ask. I'd be glad to get
> > feedback on:
> >
> > https://github.com/sizeofvoid/openbsd-kde-wip/tree/master/x11/kde-applications/juk
> >
> > RS
> >
>
> What do you think about just killing all the kde4 ports. This attempt at
> coexistence and a seemingly never-ending trickle of separate ports to
> handle in a piecemeal changeover is a nightmare to review and can't be
> good for you either.

My first thought was: Hell yes please! Second: It doesn't solve my issues.
I'm alone on the OpenBSD KDE ports road. Sure there are some users out
there but not porters. That's okay with me, except it's difficult to
update KDE4 ports by an import which need an OK.

So that doesn't solve my problem. With x11/kde-applications I am
currently updating just top-level applications and not the KDE Desktop
system. I want to go the easy way fist, replacing (more or less) all
KDE4 applications with KDE5 so that the KDE4-Desktop can still exist.

If this path is over and I can't get any further, we can delete it.

>
> Give me a tarball with all the new things that can be unpacked in
> /usr/ports and a diff to disable the kde4 things (don't worry about
> cvs rm's, just unhook from category Makefiles) and I'll look at it in
> bulk. (I need it to be easy to test it though, I won't try to assemble
> a tree by merging things from a git repo etc :)

This is a great offer, thanks in advance.

>
> Compared with GNOME, even with more people working on it, the port
> maintainers don't even try to have versions coexisting, it is just too
> difficult, and there are fewer people working on kde. Maybe some of the
> kf5 things are worse than the kde4 things but we just don't have the
> resources to mix and match and try to keep everything working.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment