Thursday, October 31, 2019

Re: Display flickers after upgrade to 6.6

I can confirm that switching to EXA made GNOME usable. This'll only work up to Northern Islands cards/IGPs though.

Guess I'll be holding off of a GPU upgrade for a while longer.

--
Patrick Harper
paianni@fastmail.com

On Thu, 31 Oct 2019, at 13:47, Patrick Harper wrote:
> I haven't tried those settings yet (in my case GNOME Shell and
> Xfdashboard cause the display to corrupt and seize up except the
> cursor) but ShadowPrimary is a glamor option that should be irrelevant
> if EXA is used.
>
> For years I've also observed text flickering in the console after drm
> is loaded, but in 6.5 and prior 3D-accelerated stuff was usable. Cayman
> should be fine with 8 million pixels.
>
> --
> Patrick Harper
> paianni@fastmail.com
>
> On Wed, 30 Oct 2019, at 13:12, Jeff wrote:
> > On Sat, 19 Oct 2019 17:59:41 +0200
> > Federico Giannici <giannici@neomedia.it> wrote:
> >
> > > On 2019-10-19 16:17, Andre Stoebe wrote:
> > > > Hi,
> > > >
> > > > I ran into the same issue this morning. Disabling the compositor
> > > > worked for me, but I noticed later that this is also documented in
> > > > the package readme:
> > > >
> > > > Screen compositor
> > > > =================
> > > > If you're using the modesetting X driver and experience window
> > > > flickering when
> > > > the compositor is enabled, you should force the window manager to
> > > > use the XPresent method for vblank:
> > > >
> > > > $xfwm4 --vblank=xpresent --replace &
> > >
> > > I tried that command but it screwed all my windows (no more window
> > > decorations and buttons, I cannot operate on windows)!
> > > Now I had to came back to KDE...
> > > :-(
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > >
> > > > This is documented upstream at
> > > > https://git.xfce.org/xfce/xfwm4/tree/COMPOSITOR#n114
> > > >
> > > > Haven't tested that yet and left the compositor disabled, but I
> > > > guess this will fix your issues. If it does, that's probably a good
> > > > reminder to first look in the readme next time (me included). ;)
> > > >
> > > > Regards,
> > > > André
> > > >
> >
> > Hi, I thought I'd relate my experience: I also experienced this issue on
> > a machine recently upgraded to OpenBSD 6.6 which uses the aruba
> > chipset and also running xfce. My workaround
> > (which was based on 'try stuff to see what works') involved turning off
> > compositing and
> > (via xorg.conf.d):
> >
> > ...
> > Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
> > Option "ShadowPrimary" "on"
> > Option "SwapbuffersWait" "off"
> > Option "EnablePageFlip" "off"
> > ...
> >
> > This resolved issues with flickering, the mouse pointer vanishing and
> > re-appearing depending on which window is below the pointer (enabling
> > software mouse pointer for this was worse as garbage was rendered in a
> > rect surrounding the pointer), and also *some* issues with logging
> > in-out of an X session via xenodm.
> >
> > I still experience problems with the machine going to sleep and waking
> > up, as sometimes, upon wake-up, the graphics go wonky, or don't update
> > at all, or the mouse pointer goes wonky.
> >
> > Beyond the aforementioned, this set-up seems to allow me to use the
> > machine as before, however, I am not an X11 expert nor a radeondrm
> > driver expert; your mileage may very.
> >
> > If I ever try Andre's hint in the future (thank-you), I might report on
> > success/failure.
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Jeff
> >
> >
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment