Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Re: 6.9/amd64 runaway acpi process on Thinkpad T580

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 08:44:54PM -0400, David Anthony wrote:
> After enabling "BIOS Thunderbolt Assist", I experience consistent machine
> slowdown on my T480. Previously, I experienced slowdown after power cycling
> my machine occasionally. Currently, with this BIOS setting enabled, I
> experience slowdown consistently.
>
> I am sorry but I don't know enough technically as to discern why. I am
> simply reporting my user experience. I will re-disable the Thunderbolt
> assist for now.
>

If someone would build an ACPI_DEBUG kernel and show us what GPE is stuck
then we can make forward progress (we need an acpidump of that machine
also).

Otherwise, its like throwing darts in the dark.

-ml

> On 9/29/21 2:58 PM, David Anthony wrote:
> > Another T480 user who has noticed the same problem. Per advice given,
> > I've just enabled "BIOS Thunderbolt Assist". I will report back if I
> > notice the problem persists.
> >
> > On 9/19/21 4:50 AM, Daniel Wilkins wrote:
> > > I've ran into this on my T480, it seems most consistently triggered
> > > by power
> > > cycles caused by running out of battery. The bug's existed for quite
> > > a few
> > > years (I think I first noticed it in 2019.) If I recall correctly I've
> > > posted it to the list a couple of times but I don't think any
> > > concrete answers
> > > ever emerged; your report is more thorough than mine were though.
> > > I do remember that it never happened on my T430, but that's quite the
> > > hardware gap.
> > >
> >
>

No comments:

Post a Comment