Sunday, March 31, 2024

Re: configure rad for ULA addresses

Ok, think I figured it out.

My core problem was that I was assigning prefixes manually in rad.conf,
then assigning each interface an address *in the same prefix*. This
created some kind of conflictâ€"the nature of which I still don't fully
understand.

This was the key line I missed in rad.conf(5):

> The default is to discover prefixes to announce by inspecting the IPv6
> addresses configured on an interface.

So as long as my interface has both addresses assigned in their
respective prefixes, rad can serve those without any extra
configuration.

Here's my final /etc/hostname.igc1:

inet 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 NONE
inet6 autoconf
inet6 alias fdd0:c720:85fa:100::1 64

And my final /etc/rad.conf:

interface igc1 {
dns {
nameserver {
fdd0:c720:85fa:100::1
}
}
}

Now devices on my network are getting both GUA and ULA addresses
assigned automatically through SLAAC.

No comments:

Post a Comment