Sunday, March 31, 2024

Re: silence logging of dhcpd deny unknown-clients

> Is there any way to silence these logs? I only want to hand out a
> small number of IPv4 addresses on my IPv6 network to those machines
> that won't function properly without them. That leaves many machines
> on my network constantly requesting IPv4 addresses, and dhcpd is
> clogging my /var/log/daemon file:
>
>> ... dhcpd[13399]: DHCPDISCOVER from xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx via igc3
>> ... dhcpd[13399]: no free leases on subnet 192.168.3.0
>
> ... over and over and over again.
>
> I didn't see any logging options in dhcpd(8) or dhcpd.conf(5).

I wasn't able to figure out how silence specific messages from a given
daemon at a specific level. I read up on syslog.conf(5) and saw that I
could silence all warnings from dhcpd, but I don't want to do thatâ€"just
those for this specific directive.

In the meantime, I realized that my list of machines that need IPv4
addresses is so small I'm probably better off statically-assigning those
machines their addresses instead of running dhcpd at all, so I've done
that.

If there is a way to silence a log message from a "facility" at a given
"level" without affecting other messages at the same "facility" and
"level," I'd be curious to know, as I'm sure I'll run into this issue
again with something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment