Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Re: Older dmesg's retained after new install. Similar to disklabel retension on disk?

On Tue, Sep 17, 2024 at 04:47:13AM -0500, Chris Bennett wrote:
> I had a major problem that required a fresh install from a current to
> 7.5 stable.
> I did find a mention of a "disklabel partition" searching online.
> I still had it, as expected and just used the n command to restore the
> mount points.
>
> However, as I mentioned in this thread
> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=172654509928100&w=4
> my older dmesg's were also retained which I found in
> /var/run/dmesg.boot.
> The dmesg man page says that some systems can retain previous dmesg's
> after rebooting. I assumed that it was just appending new dmesg to
> dmesg.boot.
> Is there also a spot on the drive that stores older dmesg information? I
> did a fresh install, so this seems like a good explanation.
> Is that correct or is there a different explanation?
>

The dmesg buffer in memory can hold more then one dmesg. If it is retained
accross reboots depends on the HW. In most cases the memory is not cleared
on warm boots. Only on a cold boot the memory contents are lost.
/var/run/dmesg.boot just holds the contents of this buffer.

--
:wq Claudio

No comments:

Post a Comment