Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Re: Older dmesg's retained after new install. Similar to disklabel retension on disk?

On Tue, Sep 17, 2024 at 11:57:44AM +0200, Claudio Jeker wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2024 at 04:47:13AM -0500, Chris Bennett wrote:
> > I had a major problem that required a fresh install from a current to
> > 7.5 stable.
> > I did find a mention of a "disklabel partition" searching online.
> > I still had it, as expected and just used the n command to restore the
> > mount points.
> >
> > However, as I mentioned in this thread
> > https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=172654509928100&w=4
> > my older dmesg's were also retained which I found in
> > /var/run/dmesg.boot.
> > The dmesg man page says that some systems can retain previous dmesg's
> > after rebooting. I assumed that it was just appending new dmesg to
> > dmesg.boot.
> > Is there also a spot on the drive that stores older dmesg information? I
> > did a fresh install, so this seems like a good explanation.
> > Is that correct or is there a different explanation?
> >
>
> The dmesg buffer in memory can hold more then one dmesg. If it is retained
> accross reboots depends on the HW. In most cases the memory is not cleared
> on warm boots. Only on a cold boot the memory contents are lost.
> /var/run/dmesg.boot just holds the contents of this buffer.
>
> --
> :wq Claudio

That then explains it. I only did warm boots. Thanks.

--
Regards,
Chris Bennett

No comments:

Post a Comment