Wednesday, October 16, 2024

fsck failed, and won't pass to sh via uart

Hello,

I was doing some network maintenance last night, and I knocked out the
power supply, this caused the filesystem to fail fsck on the next boot,
this knocked out my email so I couldn't ask for support for the below.

I attempt to use uart and I got to the fsck fail line, I do not
remember the exact wording of the line but "press return for sh", over
uart I do this and I don't get passed to the shell, and all input was
ignored.

I had to set tty to fb0 and use a monitor and keyboard, however RPI are
unstable and for whatever reason plugging in a usb keyboard caused the
RPI bootloader to boot loop, needed to try different usb keyboards
until it would boot with one, back to the same "press return for sh"
and it works just fine when the tty was fb0.

I am not sure if this is an OpenBSD issue, or another issue, does
anyone have any advice for future reference?

(As this is a production machine, and I fixed the problem already, I am
not going to intentionally corrupt partitions to test, however I will
keep any suggestions for when I encounter this issue in the future)

Thank you,
--
Polarian
GPG signature: 0770E5312238C760
Jabber/XMPP: polarian@icebound.dev

No comments:

Post a Comment